background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 15 - Texas

Day 15
October 30
Fredricksburg, Texas
My Dear Miss Smith,
How I’m ever supposed to tell you all about the Pacific War Museum appears to be a mystery. We came here yesterday, and it was a good thing too, for even now I am sitting here in the Peace Garden, my mind full of facts and images, waiting for the boys and Amy to finish before we drive to the Dixie Ranch for the night.

Admiral Chester W. Nimitz
Yesterday, after stopping by Westcave for a visit, of which Levi informed me he wrote you about, we decided to head on over to Fredricksburg. The museum used to be the childhood home of Admiral Chester Nimitz. It was a hotel his mother and uncle-step-father ran after his grandfather died. I know, it is a little confusing, but Mr. Nimitz died before Chester was born and then a few years later, his mother married his father’s younger brother. And you thought your family was confusing!

I don’t know where to begin to tell you about this museum. Perhaps I should start here, in the Japanese Peace Garden. When the Japanese heard that a museum was being built to honor Admiral Nimitz in his home town, they wanted to do something too. Therefore, they sent some of their best architects and built a peace garden for the museum, both in honor and memory of the great admiral as well as a token of peace and friendship with the United States.
Plaza of Presidents

Before coming here I didn’t really know who Admiral Nimitz was, but now I feel honored to know about him. Admiral Nimitz was one of only four five-star admirals during World War II. He is also the admiral who signed the surrender document on behalf of the United States.

The museum is in the heart of downtown Fredricksburg, so seeing the ships, planes and such in the museum came as a bit of a surprise, as did all the outdoor displays, until I learned that there are six acres of campus. The entire museum complex takes up more than a city block. The hotel itself, restored to its 1890 appearance, is in the shape of a steamboat which I found to be quite interesting. It was built like that by Chester Nimitz’s grandfather.
Inside the George H. W. Bush Gallery we found a variety of artifacts, photos, and other intriguing items which tell the story of the Pacific War including Pearl Harbor, Doolittle’s Raid, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Final Victory to name but a few.
The Nimitz Education and Research Center was incredible and Bekah should come here when she gets ready to write her book on World War II. It can get overwhelming, Miss Smith, so I was thankful the tickets were good for forty-eight hours. There is still so much to see that I have added this to my “return to” page in my notebook.

We have seen everything from fighter planes to submarines, from clothes and weapons to maps and many, many other fascinating things. This museum is the largest one in the U. S. about the Pacific War. I wish you could see Levi and Joseph. They have been intrigued by everything. Levi has taken numerous pictures which you’ll have to see when he goes home. They have living history re-enactments during the year, but none were going on today much to the boys’ disappointment.
Ah, I see Amy and the boys coming, so I shall go. We must leave and head to the Dixie Dude Ranch. I’m sure we’ll have a wonderful time. And have no fear, I shall do my utmost to ensure that Amy doesn’t injure her wrist again.
With love,
~ Priscilla

No comments: