background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 42 - Florida

Day 42
November 22
Perry, FL

Dearest Miss Smith,
    Here we are in Florida. This will be our last southward state for a while, as after this we are heading north. What a thing, to be heading north as winter comes along. Ah well, we would have to spend the winter somewhere and it might as well be up north where we can hopefully enjoy at least a few good snowstorms, whereas down in the south one may forget what season it really is.
    But I digress from our adventures. I must start with last night at the airport.
    Having watched the airplane carrying Susanna and Elizabeth leave the runway and disappear into the sky, Amy and I decided to go to a little cafe there at the airport for a light snack since Mikayla and Grace’s plane wasn’t scheduled to arrive for another hour. To have a conversation with only the two of us was rather a novelty since we have had so many traveling companions. Lest you get the wrong impression, Miss Smith, let me add that they have all been wonderful and we’ve been delighted to have them along. However, there we sat sipping our cups of hot chocolate and munching on delightful pastries while we chatted about everything: how the trip was going so far, what plans we had for upcoming states, what you might be doing at home, how Amy’s family was surviving without her and things of that sort. Suddenly I happened to glance at my watch and then sprang up exclaiming, “Oh, mercy me! Those poor girls!”
    At that, Amy, who had stared at me in astonishment, looked at her watch and said, “Their plane came in half an hour ago!”
    With that we rushed away. Arriving at the waiting area, we found the two girls talking with a man from security and looking rather worried. When they caught sight of us, they rushed over to us and we all talked at once until the security man came over and said, “I’m assuming you are not in need of my assistance anymore?”
    We assured him we did not and then hurried away to the RV.

    But that was last night. This morning we got up early; well, let me clarify, Amy, Grace and Mikayla got up early. I slept in.
    We arrived at the beaches of South Walton mid morning. Did you know that there are fifteen different “towns” in South Walton? We drove through every one of them, stopping here and there to shop, wander along the beach, eat or even get our bikes down and take a bike ride on some of the
paths. I’m not sure which place was my favorite, but we stopped in Blue Mountain,

  Grayton Beach,

 WaterSound

 and Alys.

 The weather was nothing like back home in late November. The water was glorious! We all went wading. I wore my Lady Diane hat along the beach and Grace told me all I needed was a long white dress with pink ribbons about it and I would look as though I had stepped from a history book.

    Oh, I must mention that when we were shopping, the first thing Grace bought was a purse.
Grace's purse

I’m not sure why she is obsessed with purses. Now if it were hats she was interested in I could understand, but purses? As for Mikayla, she bought some postcards to send back to her parents and brothers.
    One time we just had to stop was when we saw Charlie’s Donut Truck parked in Alys Beach. Oh those freshly made donuts just melted in our mouths! We talked about saving a few to send to you, but by the time we finished talking about it, we had eaten every one. Dreadfully sorry, Miss Smith, perhaps another time.

    Amy just reminded me to tell you of our bike ride. I know I mentioned that we took one, but I neglected to tell you about it.

We rode the Timpoochee Trail. It is an 18 mile long trail which was named after an Euchee Indian Chief who was very influential around here.
Don't you just love this Cafe name?

The path was perfect and everyone greatly enjoyed it.

Of course the dogs loved every bit of it since they got to be outside with us.

 Mikayla and Grace made it the 18 miles but weren’t up to riding back. Amy, wanting to give Timber a chance to really run, volunteered to ride back and pick up the RV. To this I agreed at once. The girls and I, along with Penelope, rested and shopped. Penelope was such a good dog, she stayed outside of the shops and watched our bicycles for us.

    We were planning to leave about mid afternoon, but it was late afternoon before we actually got on the road again heading for Forest Capital Museum State Park, which is near Perry, Miss Smith. Sometimes we could see The Gulf from the road.

We talked the entire way. The girls told us about home and mentioned how much they had enjoyed reading about the last two states on the blog. That was such a charming idea. I’m delighted to know that the others can learn about our marvelous adventures as they wait for us to arrive in their state.
    But now I must close, for it grows late, and so much being outdoors in the fresh air off the sea has made us all tired.
Good Night,
~Priscilla

No comments: