background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 41 - Alabama

Day 41
Nov. 21
Fairhope, AL
Dearest Miss Smith,
    We have just left Fairhope and are on our way to the airport where we will bid farewell to Elizabeth and Susanna. They have been such wonderful companions that already Amy and I are looking forward to the next state that they will join us for.

    The day started out early, for Amy roused us all before the sun was up so that we might watch it rise over the gulf. As you know, I am not prone to early rising; however, this was well worth the effort of rising from my bed and facing the cool morning. The dogs were overjoyed at being taken out that early though they would no doubt have preferred to roam about on their own instead of being on a leash, but such was the requirement at the park.
    How does one describe the sunrise over a vast expanse of water; the almost magical change of colors in the sky and about one, the disappearing of all traces of darkness while the golden ball of fire glows ever brighter with each passing moment? It is an impossibility to even attempt to describe such a scene, Miss Smith, and it would be futile for me to try.

    Our breakfast was enjoyed on the beach after which we all wandered along and admired the white sands and the shells which had washed up during the early morning tide.

    At last it was time to depart. The drive to Fairhope wasn’t long and we soon reached our destination. Since we were to enjoy a ride on a schooner, and having had such a terrible mishap on my last boat tour, I was in doubt as to which hat I should wear. After much anxious discussion with all three of my traveling companions, it was decided that were I to wear my Cris-Cross-Polk-A-Dot hat, it would be fairly easy to secure it firmly to my head so that no chance wind could snatch it from me (as happened, alas, on the hot air balloon).

    We boarded the Joshua, a 72` wooden schooner, to cruise Mobile Bay. Our captain, Carol Bramlett, was wonderful. She invited us to take our turn at the helm and help with the sails. The crew was friendly, showing us how to hoist the sails, tie the ropes and frequently pointing out interesting historical sights along the shores. I am in doubt as to which of us enjoyed it the most.

Though not as wonderful as a train or the biplane of yesterday, it was still charming. The breeze was fresh and invigorating, the sound of the flags snapping in the wind was pleasant, and even Amy, who after her experience of last evening wasn’t too sure about today, didn’t feel the least sick. Perhaps it was the air, though she had plenty of air in the plane.
    We were all reluctant to depart when we at last docked, but it was time to leave, so we bade farewell to the captain and crew and settled ourselves in the RV once again.

    Elizabeth has seen the sign for the exit to the airport, so I must end.
Much love,
~Priscilla

P.S. The flight was delayed so I am sitting here in the airport with the girl’s carry-on luggage while the two of them and Amy take the dogs for a walk.

    I forgot to mention what I purchased for my 50-State hat here in Alabama. Susanna found a little train engine on a key chain and when Amy saw it, she called me over and told me they had found the perfect item for my hat. Amy has taken the key chain off and attached it to the hat now and the girls say it is just the thing. There is even a tiny red head light which will turn on with a switch.

    The girls also surprised me by presenting me with a pin in memory of our train ride at the Dixie RR Museum. I shall wear it proudly.
    The girls have returned and the first call for their flight has been announced.
PDS

No comments: