background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 36 - Alabama

Day 36
Nov. 16
Calera, Alabama
My Dearest Miss Smith,
    Oh, what a day this has been! So much to tell you of and not nearly enough time to tell about it; however, I’ll do the best I can.
    It has been delightful to have Susanna and Elizabeth along with us for this state since we just had their little sisters for the last one. Susanna said that she had written to Miss Sarah and asked her to share the letter with you, so I do hope you have gotten to read about our first day here in Alabama.
    This morning started out early with breakfast with Josh and Anna. Their three adorable children were all still asleep when we left. Since our first adventure started before sunrise, we had to leave extra early. It was quite thoughtful of Josh and Anna to get up that early just to fix us breakfast. Amy drove to Birmingham where we headed for our hot air balloon ride!

    We were all much excited to be able to ride in a balloon over the Alabama countryside. Not one of us had ever ridden in a balloon before, so all were slightly nervous. We watched as the crew inflated the balloon and, as it began to gradually take shape instead of being just a colorful, flat fabric on the ground, our excitement grew. The dogs, not being allowed to join us for very good reasons, remained behind in the RV. As we all climbed aboard the basket, one of the crew looked at my hat and asked if it was secure. I assured him I had a hat pin in it, and he shrugged.


    Miss Smith, I cannot describe to you the thrill which ran through me as we began our assent. Susanna and Elizabeth were clinging together and practically shaking with excitement. I’m afraid Amy was the only calm one there besides the crew. Up we went, higher and higher. It was so quiet up there that we all felt like whispering. Oh, just to drift along with the breeze far above the land was a sensation I’ll remember forever.

The other thing I’m not likely to forget is the strong gust of wind which came along quite suddenly and unexpectedly.

Farewell Cream Creation

    I was wearing my Cream Creation hat and I had put in a hat pin, but in my excitement I must not have pushed the pin through my hair for alas, alas, when that wind came along, off sailed my hat through the air out of reach, and we could do nothing as we watched it fall, fall, fall, until it was out of sight. As you can imagine I was nearly devastated for I have had that hat for years and it was so quaint. Amy offered comfort for my loss by remarking, quite cheerfully, that perhaps it dropped on the head of a cow who wore it home and some little girl found it. Ah, perhaps that is so. I will at least hope so, for to think of that Cream Creation dangling from a tree branch to be soaked by rain, torn by waving branches, gnawed on by curious creatures and at last destroyed beyond repair by the ravages of the coming winter is a thought too dreadful to consider.
    The rest of the ride was just as enjoyable though I was still a trifle saddened by my loss. Many were the sighs as our balloon finally touched our basket to the earth once more.

    After bidding the crew goodbye and taking the dogs for a quick run, we again headed out for more adventure. I drove this time as we headed south to Calera to experience the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum.
    We were the only ones at the Museum and enjoyed a leisurely look around. It was fascinating to see the switchboard, telegraph, signal lights and other items used in railroading. Then the most exciting part of the day came for me. It even made up for my lost hat, though I shall miss it.

    As the four of us were walking out to the steam train to climb aboard and enjoy our ride, the engineer looked us over and said, “Would any of you like to learn to drive this train?”
    Miss Smith, I was perfectly speechless for several minutes while I stared at the engineer in blank astonishment. Could he really be talking to us and did he really mean it?
    Amy jerked her thumb in my direction and replied, “She would.”
    Somehow I managed to mumble, “Would I like to drive a train? You’re not joking?”
    “No, Ma’am. Since ya’ll are the only ones here, an’ different times through the year we give lessons in driving this engine, I thought one of you’d like ta try it.”
    “Would I ever!” I exclaimed, fairly bursting with excitement. Imagine, me, driving a train! “What do I do first?”
    The brakeman came over and after looking me over said, “You’ll need closed-toe shoes, long pants, a long sleeve shirt and a hat--” His gazed stopped at my hat for I was wearing my “white wings” hat.
"White Wings"

    Amy told me to borrow a pair of her overalls and she’d go buy me a train hat from the gift shop. So, as she, Susanna and Elizabeth hurried in one direction, I hurried in the other and we all soon returned. I do wish you could have seen me, Miss Smith. I was told I was a regular “Casey Jones.”

    Oh the delights of the gauges and gadgets, the levers and switches, the bells and whistles. I never knew there was so much to driving a steam train. I had to take on water and coal and then, oh joy! I drove the train! Of course the real engineer and brakeman were with me, but it was me, Priscilla De Silvosa, who drove #75 down the track! I thrill to my very toes when I recall those proud moments. It was a dream come true which I never thought in all my years would happen.

    There is nothing quite like the comfort and ease of traveling by train, Miss Smith. Even the glorious flight in a hot air balloon cannot equal a train. Amy disagrees with me and says that a large pickup truck is the best way of traveling. Imagine! Sometimes I almost despair of her ever learning the finer refinements of the past. As for Elizabeth and Susanna, they took neither side but seemed to enjoyed the train ride as they had the hot air balloon.
    After my wonderful, never to be forgotten trip was over, and I had slowly climbed down from the engine, and waved a final farewell to the engineer and brakeman, the four of us wandered about the gift shop a little longer.

    We all agreed to drive a little ways before supper, and since I was still rather giddy with the excitement of actually driving a train, Amy begged to drive, and I let her. The younger girls chattered almost non stop about the day as we drove. As our stomachs began to rumble with hunger, Amy turned into an RV park for the night.
    Susanna and Elizabeth made supper all by themselves while Amy rode her bike and gave Timber a chance to run and I walked Penelope at a slower pace. The meal was ready when we returned and quite delicious I might add. Susanna has promised to bake bread for us later on. Fresh bread, Miss Smith! What a treat that will be!
    And now I suppose I should join the others in the bedroom and get some sleep. Timber and Penelope are already asleep curled up beside each other near my feet.
    Good night, Miss Smith. I’m sure another adventure awaits us just beyond the next sunrise.
~Priscilla

No comments: