background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 25 - Louisiana

Day 25
Nov. 7
New Orleans, LA
Oh Miss Smith!
Today has been such a delight! We went to the Insta-Gator in Covington, Louisiana and got to play with and hold baby alligators. Now, Miss Smith, please don’t shake your head and call me hopeless. When I was in Egypt I got to see crocodiles in the Nile, but I never was as close to them as I was to these American cousins of theirs. I don’t know, are they cousins to each other? I should have asked. You have wondered what the difference between the two and, though there are many, one main one is that crocodiles have very bad teeth which go in every directions. Some are seriously in need of major dental work and long time braces.

Upon arriving, we decided to look through the gift shop quickly and then head on to the real fun. Our tour was quite fascinating as well as intriguing. We got to see the plane and boat used to locate alligator nests. I can’t even imagine trying to steal eggs from an alligator’s nest! Did you know, Miss Smith, that the warmth of a nest decides the sex of the babies? They are either all boys or all girls.


Also on the tour we got to walk across secure walkways above the water where alligators from one foot to four feet live. The water was very clear. They had to reassure Grace and Mikayla that the walkways were safe and that they would not end up in the water with the gators before they would walk on them. Our guide, however, jumped into the water and caught an alligator! After he was out of the water with the gator, he looked about at those of us in the tour group, and he called me to come help him tape the gator’s mouth shut! Oh, Miss Smith! I was thrilled to my very finger tips. The gator didn’t like it though and spanked me with his tail.

Isn't he cute?

Our next stop was the best part of the day. At least it was in my humble estimation. They have a large, not too deep pool where they place the baby alligators to be played with. Have no fear, Miss Smith, they do tape the babies’ mouths shut. They do not want any missing fingers. We got to pet and play with them and hold them. They are very strong for their size and it takes some doing to hold them for long. I was the first one to do so, but Amy wasn’t far behind. It took Grace a little while to gather up enough courage to actually join us while Mikayla stood back and laughed at us. She does like to laugh when she is nervous. After much coaxing she finally came over, put her hand in the water and touched one of the alligators. However, no matter how hard we tried, we couldn’t get her to pick one up, so I decided to take matters into my own hands so to speak, or out of them, I should say. Turning to Mikayla, I handed her the one I was holding, telling her that I had to fix my hat. It was quite true for my green hat was slipping and I had no wish for it to end up floating with baby alligators. Those little things are surprisingly strong, as I mentioned, and that one must not have liked Mikayla as well as she liked me for with only two twists she was back in the water. I really believe Mikayla was relieved. But, she can now go home and announce that she held a baby alligator.

Something we learned during our stay was that alligators sometimes don’t eat for six months! And they don’t move when they are full of a meal. Now that would be the best time I would think to rob a nest. But how would you know when the mama was full? Tis a puzzle for other brains besides mine.
We visited the gift shop before we left, and yes, Grace bought another purse. This one was made of alligator leather. I wonder how many purses she will end up with before we are back home, since she is going to six other states with us.
It was late afternoon before we left Covington to continue on our way. Speaking of Covington, I believe Bekah has some friends with the last name of Covington. I wonder, was the city named after some ancestor of theirs? We didn’t see much of it as we headed down to New Orleans.

You want to drive over this?

Do you recall, Miss Smith, when we discussed bridges? Well, you will be interested to know that we were privileged to travel across the world’s longest bridge. We had to cross Lake Pontchartrain in order to reach the zoo, aquarium and insectarium we will visit tomorrow. I drove since I didn’t trust Amy quite enough for crossing the 23.83 miles of bridge. There were many exclamations after we had paid our toll and were actually on the bridge itself. But, it wasn’t long before a dead silence filled the RV. At last Mikayla spoke in a quiet voice.
“What would happen if the bridge broke?”
Grace gave a gasp and Amy hastened to say, “It won’t.”
Since I didn’t want any panic stricken girls causing tension while I drove, I quickly had Amy put on a CD with songs from Broadway musicals. That distracted them enough to take their mind off the thought of danger.
At last we reached the end of the bridge and there was a collective sigh of relief. Now we are parked near our morning destination for the night. The three girls, having first taken the dogs for a long walk, are preparing supper. There seems to be less confusion in the kitchenette (that is what Amy calls it) than when Joseph and Levi were helping.

I wish, Miss Smith, that I could have taken a baby alligator home, but there were several reasons why I couldn’t.
1- We have no place to keep him here in the RV.
  2- Amy would have had a fit had I tried to find a place for one. She probably would have gone right home and left me to continue alone.
3- The dogs would have kept up such an incessant barking I’m quite sure that we never would have been able to sleep.
4- Baby alligators don’t mail very well or I might have tried to send one to you through the post office. I don’t believe the U. S. Postal service would have taken kindly to that package.
5- There was absolutely no way Mikayla or Grace would take one back on the plane with them even if security would let them.
And 6- Alligators can grow up to four feet in a year and would soon outgrow our bathtubs. (Can you imagine having a child grow that much in a year? Think of all the clothes you would have to buy!)
Therefore, I have left all the baby alligators behind. Perhaps we can see some more in Florida or Georgia.
Penelope or “Nellie” as Amy has taken to calling her, is curled up on my lap dozing, but I smell something good cooking; therefore, I will end this and prepare to enjoy the meal.
Much love,
~ Priscilla

1 comment:

Grace Mae said...

Purses are so much fun. I'm glad we didn't bring home any alligators.