background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 24 - Louisiana

Day 24
Nov. 5-6
White Castle, Louisiana
Dear Miss Smith,
I am very happy to announce that my hand has recovered enough to allow me to write. I still have to be careful though. I can’t lift much of anything heavy but a pencil is light enough, I think.
So we’re back to an all-girl crew (with the exception of Timber who is still here as bodyguard). I miss the boys’ rowdiness but I’m sure we’ll be seeing them again. And it’s great having Grace and Mikayla with us.
The omelet festival was great fun but I think Grace planned on writing about that so I shall content myself with telling about Nottaway Plantation. It took us about 2 hours to get here. ‘Cilla drove this time. I think she’d had enough of my driving for a while after the other day when she fancied I drove the RV a bit too much like I would drive my brother’s truck back at the farm. I suspect I scared her just a bit. Oops! I wasn’t going to mess anything up though! I was in perfect control, I assure you!
But anyway, we got to Nottaway Plantation in time for a slightly late dinner. Just the little bit of the place that we saw when we first got there was stunning! I couldn’t imagine actually living in a place like that!
For dinner we had the option of an appetizer but decided to skip that and go straight on to the salad or soup and main course. I got the Corn and Crab Bisque just because it had brie cheese in it (I know, I’m hopeless when it comes to cheese). It was delicious! The main course was hard for me to choose. I always had trouble when it comes to making a choice like that. I finally decided to go for the Parmesan and Herb-crusted Chicken. I can’t tell you just how delicious it was! ‘Cilla got the roasted duck. Don’t ask me WHY she wanted that one. Just seeing that it contains lemon grass turned me off. I don’t have a very good relationship with lemon grass, I’m afraid. She says it was delicious though. Mikayla went for the Shrimp and Grits and Grace chose the St. Louis Ribs.
After dinner we got to see our rooms. We’re all in different rooms tonight so we decided to go look at all four of them before settling down in our separate places. I almost chose a room in the Overseer’s Cottage but then decided it would be less of a hassle if I were to pick on in the mansion… not to mention I found a room I liked better.
'Cilla's Room

Priscilla and I are both on the second floor so we saw our rooms first. ‘Cilla has the Ella Eugenia Randolph room. It’s very pretty, decorated with lots of red. She’s lucky she chose first otherwise she would’ve had to give that one up to me. Ella Eugenia was the oldest of the Randolph children. She later married and lived in Mississippi.
There is a veranda from her room looking out into a beautiful courtyard sporting one of the most beautiful fountains I’ve ever seen! Since our rooms are right next to each other we share the same view of the courtyard. Since the night wasn’t too cold I left my windows open so I could hear the water all night. There is just something about running water that seems to draw people to it. Have you ever noticed that?
My Room
My room was Mary Augusta Randolph’s room. She was number five of the eleven Randolph children and married a prominent New Orleans lawyer. The room is darker than ‘Cilla’s but still has the touch of red in the antique bed, though I think black would be the more prominent color.
Mikayla's Room
Mikayla and Grace were both on the third floor. Mikayla’s room is the Cornelia Randolph room, quite girly and elegant. The four-poster bed is mahogany with pink bedding. Cornelia was the seventh of the children and actually published a diary called “The White Castle of Louisiana” about her life there. I wonder if it’s still in print. If it is, I think I shall try to find it to read.
Grace's Room
Grace’s room was the one named after Sarah Virginia Randolph. It is definitely a girly room, practically all pink! While Mikayla’s room looks out on the river Grace had a view of the gorgeous gardens. Sarah Randolph was the only one of the Randolph sisters to never marry, I think due to an unknown disease that she suffered from most of her life. It is suspected that she may have been engaged though as her nickname (Sally) can be seen etched into one of the windowpanes in the girls’ wings. You may ask what this would have to do with her being engaged as I asked myself. It was customary then for a betrothed woman to write her name with her diamond ring. Did you know that? I had never of this!

After we’d seen all of our rooms ‘Cilla and I left Grace and Mikayla and went to check on the dogs. They aren’t allowed inside, of course, so they’re staying in the RV tonight. After making sure they were settled for the night we came inside to start getting ready for the night.
It’s been a long day so we were all somewhat tired. I’m sitting out on my veranda right now as I write this. Priscilla was out here with me for a little while but she just went inside a few minutes ago. Since we have good internet service here my family and I planned a webcam call. We’ve talked on the phone numerous times since I left but it’ll be good to actually see them again! After that I think I shall take a soak in the great tub and then go to bed.
Wow! I didn’t realize how long this had become. No wonder my wrist is starting to hurt a bit. I should probably stop before I really overdo it. So, for now, good night, Miss Smith!

Despite staying up a bit too late last night I woke up bright and early this morning so, since I correctly guessed that Priscilla and the girls were all still in bed or, if they were awake, they weren’t awake enough to do much of anything, I went out and invited the dogs for a walk. We went all around the grounds. Since it was still pretty early we didn’t meet many people out and about.


After putting the poor dogs back in the RV I went back to my room to get cleaned up a bit before breakfast. I met the girls in the dining room. I must say, breakfast was just as good, if not better, than dinner last night. To begin with we each got a delicious yogurt and granola parfait with strawberries. After that I got Brioche French Toast and sausage. Grace and Mikayla both had buttermilk pancakes and bacon while ‘Cilla, ever for the strange-sounding foods, got Tasso Benedict with grits. And then to drink I had orange juice, of course. I’ve never been able to pass that up.
After breakfast we went out for a tour of the grounds. Did you know that during the Randolph's time it was customary for a young man, once he reached about fourteen years of age, to be housed separately with his servants and tutor, because he was then considered an adult? I did not know this before.
After the tour we ended up in the gift shop. There are all sorts of trinkets and books there. While there I found a perfect gift for Caleb… but I’m not telling what it was as I daresay he’ll read this.
We’re back in the RV now, on our way to see a bunch of alligators (THAT was ‘Cilla’s idea). I think I shall end this quickly so we can drop it in the mail at the next opportunity.
~Amy~

2 comments:

Miss Smith said...

Dear Amy,
Delighted to hear from you again. Your stay at Nottaway sounds charming, but do keep an eye on Priscilla when she gets among the alligators, please. There is no telling what she will do.
Oh, your family stopped by here yesterday and said they had gotten to talk with you. Tell Priscilla that your brothers took all the dogs out for a long run! The dogs needed it.
I'll look forward to the next letter about your trip!
Love,
Miss Smith

Abigail in WI said...

this place looks cool!! I love the bedrooms-they're so pretty!