background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6 - Oklahoma

Day 6,
October 22,
Oklahoma
        My Dear Miss Smith,
    Here we are in Oklahoma! We picked up our two guests just outside of Tahlequah. Natalie and Lydia were extremely excited to be able to join Amy and me for this state. I foresee great pleasure in the days to come with these two along.

    We reached Tahlequah around mid morning since it took a little while picking up the girls. However, that didn’t create a problem. I had no idea the Cherokee village would be so interesting. There we found the Indians working and living as though it were the nineteenth century. We were all fascinated by the basket weaving and, since we were the only visitors, the women kindly let us try our hands at it. I must admit, Miss Smith, that though it may look easy, I found basket weaving was not in my line of pleasing occupation. On the other hand, I do believe Amy and Lydia could become exceptional weavers.

    As Amy and Lydia were weaving, Natalie and I wandered around and watched some other activities such as the making of a canoe and flint napping. Watching them make blowguns reminded me of when I was young and used to blow paper balls at my teachers during school hours.
    There are seven houses in one area; a school house, church, a general store, as well as a few others built to look just like the ones from the 1890s. The place is called Adams Corner. Natalie fell in love with the shopkeeper’s house. I believe she would have moved right in. The log house was more Amy’s style, while Lydia liked them all.

School House
Shopkeeper's House
Church

    For me, speaking to the native Cherokee Indians was the most delightful part of the day. Ah, Miss Smith, could you but hear their language, you would instantly fall in love with it. I have written down in my “to do” section of my notebook to learn the Cherokee language. I have even purchased some CDs from the gift shop to assist me. One is called “Learning as We Sing,” another is entitled “Voices of the Creator’s Children.” Even Amy enjoys listening to them, so perhaps the four of us shall acquire the ability to sing one song in Cherokee before we leave this state.

Priscilla's Painted Feather

    Having wandered the gift shop with the girls for some time, each of us finally made our purchases. I now have a turtle necklace (Please don’t worry, Miss Smith, it in no way is made from a turtle nor does it look like one.), a painted feather hat pin (Amy laughingly suggested when we were in Arkansas that I decorate a hat with something from each state. I thought that was a delightful idea and thus the reason for the hat pin.), as well as my CDs. I was tempted to purchase some other items, but realizing that room in the RV is limited, I refrained myself.
    It was late afternoon before we left Tahlequah and drove to Cedar Rock Inn, here in Tulsa. Quite a charming place it is, really. We are all cozily tucked in bed for the night and I must turn out the light or I am afraid the other girls will not quit talking. Natalie and Lydia as well as Amy are full of giggles as most girls are when they get together.


    Oh, I nearly forgot, I solved the mystery of the wrinkles on my bed! Last night, after Amy and I returned from the Irish Dance, I opened the door into our little room and let the dogs in. Then, standing just outside, I watched. It was exactly as I figured. Penelope is well trained and she remained off my bed as did Timber. But alas, Timber, being the large dog that he is, as well as one who seems to enjoy almost anything, cannot keep his tail still. And that is the whole cause of the wrinkles. Timber’s tail is exactly the same height as our beds so, when he wags his tail, it brushes the bed creating those unbearable wrinkles. Now, if he were facing my bed instead of Amy’s, the wrinkles would be on her bed. That not being the way Timber stands (you understand I am sure since he is not my dog), however, I must needs suffer from the tail. Therefore, I have banned both dogs from the bedroom.
    Now don’t call me harsh and unfeeling, Miss Smith. There simply isn’t enough room for both Amy and me as well as our two guests and the dogs, not to speak of the wrinkle making, wagging tail! Putting up with wrinkles on my bed for an entire year is past the limit of my endurance much as I love dogs. (Why else would I have thirteen of them?)
    Now, I really must end this. I have no wish for sleepy girls tomorrow.
Much love,
~ Priscilla

1 comment:

Mazzou said...

Rebekah....I love this blog! I don't know why I didn't read it earlier- now I am looking forward to catching up as well as reading your new writings! You are so good at writing, and I love all your ideas!
Rebekah, thank you also for your comments on my blog- they are so fun to read.