background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

It has begun! - Day One

The adventure of Priscilla and Amy has begun! I received this first letter this morning. Check back often for future letters and notes from the travelers.
~ Miss Smith


Day 1, October 17
Dear Miss Smith,
As you know, I left home quite early this morning and drove to pick up Amy. Timber and Penelope were a little unsure of each other at first, but now they are best of friends. Amy was ready for me when I arrived and after quickly storing her luggage and travel things, saying farewell and then getting the cat out of the RV, we set off.
It was a beautiful morning to drive and the RV did very well on the hilly, curvy roads. As you may have already guessed, Amy and I talked nearly non stop until we reached Lead Hill, Arkansas and turned off to the Ozark Medieval Fortress.
Imagine, a castle right here in the United States! I must admit that I felt as though I were back in Europe or England, but when I tried speaking French or German, no one understood me. Amy and I took the guided tour. Though I’m not a passionate student of medieval history, I found the tour both fascinating as well as quite interesting.
They only started building the fortress in 2009, so the walls aren’t very tall yet. In some places they are high enough to have a covered doorway. The plan is to have the fortress done by 2030. It is hard to believe someone would spend twenty years building a castle.
Did you know that there is not a single piece of modern equipment being used in the building of this castle? I was quite impressed by all the labor that has already been poured into the building. To measure, they use a rope with thirteen knots. Each knot is evenly spaced, so it works much the same as a measuring tape only with added benefits. The thirteen knots give twelve spaces. With the rope they can lay out and measure all sorts of shapes including three kinds of triangles. You should try it, Miss Smith. Get a rope or a long piece of twine and tie thirteen evenly spaced knots and then see what sort of shapes you can create with it.
They had a real catapult built there. It was huge! I’m not sure why they needed it now. There aren’t any walls high enough to knock down. Perhaps it is to defend the workers while they are building, though I think a group of archers would be more effective.
While we were there I made note that all those working on the castle or fortress, as well as those who are giving the tours and such were all dressed in the costumes of medieval times. We even saw a man with his falcon. The falcon had just brought a rabbit in.
As I said before, there are no modern devices of any sort. That means no rulers, no cranes to lift the rocks and no hard hats! It is all sweat and hard work. They have a horse and cart to bring things, but everything moves slowly.
Amy and I got to watch them lay another layer of rock right near the edge of the wall. It was rather breath-taking to watch and then to imagine what it will be like when the walls are two or three stories high! Phew! I don’t think I would like to come back and see that part. Hmm, Maybe that is why the walls were so thick; to give the workers something to stand on without being in constant danger of falling.
Late in the moring, we got to watch a sword fight between two knights. I told Amy that I half expected Robin Hood and his band of merry men to come out of the forest with their bows.
The blacksmith looked very young, but he knew what he was doing. And the stone cutters were incredible. There was also a weaver and several other persons doing intriguing things. If you know of anyone who is enamored with medieval history, you really should encourage them to go.
Since neither Amy nor I was extremely interested in watching the building, we left in the early afternoon. I’m sure if we had had a lad or two who was fascinated by that time in history, they could have spent at least a day and possibly more there. Why, you can even cut your own stone, mark it with your own special mark and lay it in the fortress walls! We decided not to do that, however, as we had other interests.

After leaving Lead Hill, we drove southeast to Mountain View to visit the Ozark Folk Center. Amy spent the time tying and untying knots in a length of string we had while I drove. By the time we reached Mountain View she had thirteen evenly spaced knots. I’m sure we’ll have interesting times with that string on our trip.
Oh, Miss Smith, you would greatly enjoy it here! I don’t know how we are going to do it all in one day tomorrow! This evening we did manage to wonder through some of the shops before supper. And dining in the restaurant was simply superb! Amy was enthralled by the herb gardens. Our supper table was near a window and we could look out over the butterfly and water garden and enjoy the wildlife coming to the feeding station or to drink from the basins of water. Once as I was watching, I saw something that wasn’t any creature I was use to seeing. It had come out of the brush and was ambling towards the water.
“Amy!” I gasped, pointing.
She turned and caught her breath. In amazement we watched the black bear as he drank and then after snuffleing around a bit, he disappeared into the dusky undergroth. I will have to make a note of Ozark Folk Center in the “return another time” file of my travel notebook.

Well, it is growing late and we are going to get up early in order to see as much as we can tomorrow, so I had better get to bed. Oh, yes, I must add that the travel arrangements in this RV are delightful. Two bunk beds in the little back room for Amy and I with room for two other girls. Any lads who join us will sleep in the “upper deck” up front. The dogs both sleep in the “living room” part of the RV which changes into the dining room and kitchen in about five steps. Close quarters to sleep in, but the whole of the great outdoors for the day time! What could be more enjoyable, delightful and invigorating?
Now I truly must end this. I will drop it in the mail first thing in the morning.
With love,
~ Priscilla

3 comments:

Grace Mae said...

Hi Miss Smith,

I am so glad Priscilla and Amy got off safely.

I enjoyed their letter. When will we know if we are going to the states we chose?

Also Priscilla mentioned about writing to you are her neighbor Sarah. How do we contact them?

Praying for safe travels.

Miss Smith said...

Grace,
After looking through the files Priscilla De Silvosa left about her trip, I have found the states you are signed up for. They are:
Florida
Virginia
Pennsylvania
Oregon
Colorado

I'm sure you will be hearing from Priscilla before they pick you up in Florida. She will also tell you where to send your letters.
Miss Smith

Abigail in WI said...

glad to see that you started safely! :)