background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 5 - Arkansas

Day 5
October 21
    Arkansas
    Dear Miss Smith,
    Amy and I have parted ways, and I am alone. But, have no fears, it is only a temporary separation, but there, if I tell you more now, I must begin in the middle of the day instead of where one fully expects a well educated and traveled person, such as myself, to begin.

    As I am sure Amy mentioned in her letter to you yesterday, we drove part of the way last evening, stopping at an RV park along the way. The name of it or where it was exactly escapes my recollection for the time being; however, that is not important. This morning, we departed in plenty of time.

    I drove. Amy did quite well, by the way, when she drove yesterday. I could even sleep as she drove. But you may recall, Miss Smith, that I can sleep nearly any place. As we drove, I asked Amy if she had ever listened to Gilbert & Sullivan’s “Pirates of Penzance.” Would you believe it, she never had! The poor child! Deprived for so many years of that delightful music. I remedied that and we listened all the rest of the way to Van Buren, I telling her the story as we drove. She seemed to enjoy it. At least most of the time.

    Arriving in Van Buren, we took the dogs for a walk about the city before leaving them in the RV and making our way to the Arkansas & Missouri Railroad train depot. Ah yes, trains. As you know, Miss Smith, I adore trains: coal, electric or diesel, old fashioned or up-to-date, sleek, shiny, distance-eating or slow and steady. To me the blast of brakes, the sound of the whistle, the dinging of bells, the shouts of the conductor, as well as his nearly unintelligible language, is pure music.
Our Conductor
    The gift shop was delightful and we each picked up a small souvenir. Our train left the station at 11:00. Having chosen the Club tickets, we were seated in the second passenger car. Our conductor was a pleasant older gentleman who actually spoke English instead of “Conductorese.” During the trip, he told us stories about the old days, pointed out interesting sights along the way, and was in every respects, the most enjoyable of conductors.
    The foliage was simply gorgeous, Miss Smith! Golds, browns, dark greens and rusty colors abounded in every direction. The countryside was full of color everywhere you looked. Scarlet sumac lined rocky embankments while quaint farmhouses stood afar off surrounded by fields of green. Crossing the trestles over rushing creeks and deep ravines reminded me of the European countryside, though it was not as beautiful as this.
This picture doesn't do it justice.

    Let me tell you a bit about the 1917 - 1920s Vintage Pullman coach we rode in. It is not a replica, but an original one that has been restored. Those are so much better than the newer ones which are intended to look old. This one had plush velvet bench seating with mahogany inlays. My hat blended very well with the style and I even received a compliment or two on it.
    We were served our lunch aboard the train and both of us enjoyed it immensely. Arriving in Winslow, we climbed off and enjoyed the little gift shop there and wandered about until it was time for our train to return to Van Buren where we arrived about 2:20. I was wishing I didn’t have to leave (Someday, Miss Smith, I am going to go to Springdale and take the train from there to Van Buren. It is an eight hour round trip. Imagine, eight delightful hours on a train!) when Amy pointed out that there was a train which left in thirty minutes for Fort Smith! Now, Fort Smith was our next intended destination.
    How I longed to make that trip by train instead of RV, though I love my darling, little, red RV.
    “Suppose, ‘Cilla,” dear Amy said (Yes, Miss Smith, she does call me ‘Cilla. At least she doesn’t say “Prissy,” I detest that name.), “suppose you take the train and I will drive the RV with the dogs. We can meet in Fort Smith at the depot.”
    “Amy, you don’t mean it!” I exclaimed clasping my hands together in ecstasy at the very thought.
    “Of course I do. It isn’t that far to drive.”
    Well, I couldn’t very well refuse could I? So, that is why Amy is not with me. I rode the caboose this time and enjoyed every minute.
The Caboose I rode. I don't think you can see me though.

Now I am waiting for Amy to arrive. I do hope she didn’t have any trouble.
    We are going to an Irish dance performance this evening, but since that was Amy’s idea, I believe she is going to write a postcard about it.
    Right now I am going to walk around a bit after I mail this letter.

Much love,
Priscilla

P.S. Yesterday there were wrinkles on my bed again! I have my suspicions, but I will wait until this evening when we are all in the RV to test them. If it is what I think . . .

1 comment:

Grace Mae said...

Sounds like you are having fun. Can't wait to join you in Florida.