background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day Two

Day 2, October 18

Dear Miss Smith,

As ‘Cila said, you would love it here! I remember how much you said you love your Arkansas heritage and the Ozark Folk Center definitely helps bring the old ways of the Ozark mountains back to life!

We abandoned the RV to spend the night in one of the little cabins they have here. Out away from all the noise of civilization the site of the cabins is quiet and peaceful. We were both tired after our long day so went to bed as soon as possible. I fell asleep listening to ‘Cila’s pen scratching across the paper.

This morning I woke up long before Priscilla, not yet being quite accustomed to our new schedule. Back home as you know, our days started very early. Leaving ‘Cila and Penelope asleep I got dressed and went outside. Timber was just outside the door, sleeping. He woke up and came over to me as I stepped out. He doesn’t seem to understand being shut outside at night but such a big dog isn’t allowed inside the cabin. I daresay he looks forward to the time when he can come inside and sleep at the foot of my bed as he is used to.

As we walked around the area I was once more amazed at the beauty of God’s creation. Have you ever taken a long walk in the early morning, just you, the animals and God? There’s something so peaceful and lovely about it! I finally returned to the cabin. Priscilla was up at this point and, after eating a simple breakfast of granola we loaded our stuff back into the RV and then started for the main area of the Center.

First off we visited some other shops that we’d missed last night. While there ‘Cila discovered a simple, wide-brimmed straw hat which she immediately fell in love with so, of course, she bought it and intends to wear it often. I really don’t see how she finds time to wear all of the hats she has but I suppose she does, even if it’s only once a year! There was a lovely little jewelry shop as well where I bought a sweet little bracelet. I was solemnly informed by my companion that I simply must take something back as a souvenir.

Just before lunch we visited the doll shop. As we looked around we heard a soft voice speaking over to the side, telling a story. The sound of her voice drew us until we saw an elderly lady sitting in a comfortable rocker with one or two folks around her, listening eagerly as she told stories of her childhood during the depression. As she spoke her fingers moved nimbly creating a cunning little corn shuck doll, such as she says she used to play with all the time as a little girl.

There were a few chairs around so we sat down and stayed there listening until the pangs of hunger reminded us of the delicious food served at the Skillet Restaurant. The week’s specials looked delicious but we each settled for simple sandwich for lunch before heading back out. There were still a lot of craftsmen and women whom we wanted to see.

Our first stop was one of the many smaller herb gardens scattered throughout the park. Miss Smith, I could have just looked at those herb gardens all day all day! Only the fact that Priscilla was with me and has never been such an herb enthusiast as I am made me go elsewhere. The most beautiful and diverse herb gardens I have ever seen are there! Not only do they have the regular, common herbs that everyone knows about but they also grow rare herbs that I’ve never ever heard of! One of the workers told me of the Ozark Folk School in which I can learn more about herbs that I would usually be able to learn at home. After this trip I definitely want to look into that. Also I have decided that after getting home I am going to start my own herb garden. I’ve grown a few herbs in the past years but I want to expand my borders in that area.

You won’t believe all of the craftsmen here! They do everything from basket-making to instrument creation to blacksmithing and so much more! I hardly know what to tell you about them all. We may have missed a few things but we watched as many of the different trades as we possibly could. The dress-maker even showed us some of her tricks! I shall definitely remember those for when we get home.

Along toward supper time we visited the theater. The Ozark Folk Center invites various bands to come and play traditional music in the theater. I don’t remember the name of the band we saw but it was a family band all members of which played their separate instruments very well. And I was rather wowed by the oldest son’s voice! He was exceptional!

We considered staying another night in the cabin but then decided to go ahead and head out for our next destination. I’m writing as we drive, to explain the crooked writing. The dogs are asleep just behind us, and ‘Cila is chattering on about the day while driving. I know she is very excited about our next stop. I hear there may even be canoeing. That will be a new experience for Priscilla though my brothers took care to see that I went on numerous float trips with them growing up.

Sincerely

~Amy

No comments: