background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day 68 - North Carolina

Day 68
December 18
Charlotte, NC
Dear Miss Smith,
    I am sure this won’t be a very long letter as I am yawning already and it is quite late. Everyone has gone to bed except me and I hope to follow them soon.

    Today we visited the Billy Graham Library. It is quite a place, Miss Smith, and you should have seen the bookshelves! But, lest you think this is just a library, it is also a museum, restaurant, and more.
    We started out with a tour of the Graham home were Billy lived from age 9 until he headed off for college. The house is a two-story Colonial house built of bricks and looks like it should be in Williamsburg, or some other such place. But it did have indoor plumbing.

    Our next place to visit was the museum where we discovered so many interesting facts about Billy Graham’s life. This is housed in a large barn-shaped building and the entrance is through a large cross. This building also houses Ruth’s Attic Bookstore which was a lovely place to visit. It was hard not to buy stacks of books, but as you well know, there would be no room in the RV for them. I did buy a book or two and, when the girls weren’t around, I bought them each a necklace for Christmas. But don’t tell them.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the day before yesterday we stopped by a Christmas Tree farm and purchased a small one for the RV. It smells so lovely, and I bought an ornament from the bookstore.

    Sometime during the middle of the day, I can’t now remember if it was before or after we visited the bookstore, we stopped to eat lunch at the Graham Brothers Dairy Bar. There is nothing quite like a hot lunch on a cold winter day. It was hard to decide just what we wanted, but I ended up with the Grilled Chicken Sandwich and chips, with a homemade cookie for dessert. We ate in a cozy place that looked just like a horse stall only with a table and bench seats instead of straw and a horse.

    Since it is Christmas time, we got to go see the live nativity outside, and after it got dark we took a carriage ride behind some lovely horses, after which we warmed up with hot chocolate before wandering around a little more.
    Then it was time to head back to the RV where we took the dogs for a run and prepared a late supper. Then I cleaned up the kitchenette while the girls took the dogs out once more before bed.
    Now I must head to bed myself, Miss Smith. I have been yawning for the past twenty minutes and I’m afraid I’ll fall asleep right here if I don’t crawl into bed soon.

Sweet dreams,
~Priscilla


No comments: