background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Day 65 - North Carolina

Day 65
December 15
Roanoke Island, South Carolina
My Dear Miss Smith,
    Here we are having spent our second day in North Carolina. I am greatly enjoying the time with Katelyn and Kristina though I can’t tell them. The first question I have to ask each morning is who is who and then I’m sure to get them mixed up at least a dozen times a day. I suppose this is what comes when you travel with twins who look so much alike. However, they have both assured me that even their family gets them mixed up now and then. That news has made me feel somewhat better, but still, one likes to know for sure who one is addressing when one speaks.  Perhaps by the time our week of travels in this state are over I will be able to tell them apart. I don’t know if the dogs can tell them apart or not, but Timber and Penelope both adore the girls, and both girls are entirely willing to take the dogs out any time.
    But I must get on with this letter or I will never get it finished. Right now we are parked and supper is just over. Katelyn is washing the dishes and Kristina is drying and putting them away. Or is it the other way around? Oh dear, I can’t tell!
    This morning was quite lovely. Our drive to our first stop wasn’t very long and the sun was shining and the prospect of driving along the Outer Banks once more made us all the more eager to get up early.

    Our first stop of the day was at Kill Devil Hills, otherwise known as Kitty Hawk. Imagine being in the very same place, Miss Smith, as the first people who actually flew! There we were able to walk and see what Orville and Wilbur saw when they came to Kitty Hawk to try their experiment in flight. Of course, there wasn’t any visitor’s center or the Centennial Pavilion back then, and certainly not a full scale bronze replica of the 1903 flier, but still it was the same place. There are several sculptures of people who played an important part in documenting and assisting in that first flight.
John Daniels

Did you know that John Daniels, the man who took the famous photo of the first flight, had never taken a photo before in his life? He worked at the Life-Saving Station on Kill Devil Hills, but his willingness to take a photo has earned him a bronze replica of his action at the park.
1903 Flyer

    The exhibits in the Centennial Pavilion were interesting, showing life size replicas of the first plane, glider and even the Wright brother’s wind tunnel. As much as I enjoy adventure, Miss Smith, I’m not sure I’d have been willing to commit myself to such a flimsy looking contraption. But we enjoyed walking around the 1903 flyer sculpture out on the sandy hill.
    We learned some fascinating facts as we explored the area. Here is one of them. Neil Armstrong carried a piece of cloth and wood from the original 1903 Wright Flyer when he went to the moon. Ah, the far reaching results of that first flight. I’m sure Orville and Wilbur never dreamed of reaching the moon when they were first attempting to fly.

    But, alas, our time at Kitty Hawk had to end after only a few hours and Katelyn, Kristina and I set off for the Roanoke Island Festival Park.

    We were overwhelmed by all the things to do at the park and weren’t sure where to begin. At last, after some talk, we agreed to head first to the Elizabeth II. This ship is a replica of a 1585 English merchant ship. There were seven of them in the voyage to Roanoke that year. I always picture old ships as dull in color, but the Elizabeth II was anything but drab and dull. From the green and white Tudor flag and the red and white Cross of St. George flag on the masts, to the blue, red, white and brown of the ship itself, everything was bright.
We got to try our hand at setting the sails, swabbing the deck and raised the anchor. I even played a game of checkers with a sailor, but I was defeated. Perhaps I should have taken Cousin Zelfred up on his offer to teach me to play checkers when I was ten. Oh, a misspent youth is hard to retrieve.

    Our next stop was the settlement site of the first English settlers on North American soil. A fascinating place it was with the added thought of wonder about what really happened to the colony. The speculations must run riot if one thinks about it too long. Did they all die out? Did they move in with some friendly Indians, inter-marry and forget their English roots? Did they perish in a storm? What ever became of Virginia Dare?




    Moving on (We tried not to spend too much time in any one place as there was so much to see.), we headed over to the Indian Town. There we were able to see two longhouses and actually step inside to see what it would have been like. It was all very fascinating, though our house on wheels suites me more than a longhouse would.

    Miss Smith, you must visit the Roanoke Adventure Museum yourself for it would take me hours to tell you about it. I thought it would just be about the first settlement—the Lost Colony, but it was much more. We learned more about “the graveyard of the Atlantic,” what happened during the Civil War; there were also hands-on experiences (We could even dress up!), displays displays . . . we could have spent hours there had it not been closing time.

Alas, night comes sooner in winter months than summer. Since it was winter they weren’t having their “music in the park” as they do in warmer weather. And we didn’t have time to see the lighthouse, or build a boat in a day or . . . You can be sure that this place is already written down in my file of places to visit again.

    Arriving back at the RV, we were met by two very delighted dogs whom Kristina and Katelyn promptly took for a walk while I prepared supper. Yes, Miss Smith, I did prepare it. Of course it was easy, as we had purchased a few frozen pizzas last week and all I had to do was put them in the oven and cut up some carrots. I do like quick and easy meals if I must prepare them.
    But now the kitchenette is spotless and we are all going to take the dogs for another walk and enjoy some Christmas lights. I find it difficult to believe Christmas is next week.
Farewell until another time,
~Priscilla

No comments: