background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 57 - South Carolina

Day 57
December 7
Lexington, South Carolina
Dear Miss Smith,
    This was our first day without Amy and I must say that I missed her. Susanna, Abigail and I began our day with a delightful breakfast fixed by the girls while I took the dogs out for a morning walk. It was a lovely morning to drive over to Kings Mountain, and since we were headed to such a place of interest, Susanna and Abigail took turns reading Manly Wade Wellman’s book Battle for King’s Mountain aloud. Miss Smith, you really ought to pull that book off the shelf and reread it if only for the sake of feeling more connected with me in my travels.

    A fact I found quite interesting was that we were there two months to the day (and many years later) of when the battle was fought. Thomas Jefferson called the battle “the turn of the tide of success” since it was the first major victory by the Americans after the British invaded Charleston.

Loyalist's hat on left, Patriot's hat on right
    When we arrived we first visited the Museum, as all well bred persons do. It was fascinating to see an original Ferguson Rife. And as we wandered through the exhibit, which was created to resemble an old growth forest, we listened with interest to the talking trees which tell the story of the battle and the people involved. We also watched the film “Battle for Kings Mountain.” Did you realize, Miss Smith, that the battle for Kings Mountain only lasted one hour? I wonder if that was the shortest battle in the American Revolution?




    We were all so interested in what we saw that it was nearly lunch time when we left the visitor center and headed outside. After a quick lunch at one of the picnic tables, we leashed the dogs and headed out for the one and a half mile walk up the mountain trail to the top of the ridge where the Patriots assaulted the Loyalists. We even saw Ferguson’s grave. Timber seemed to greatly enjoy getting outside for a nice long walk, and even Penelope pranced along with a perky tail. The weather was perfect for a walk up the slopes of Kings Mountain; the air was brisk and chilly, but we didn’t have to wear heavy coats and warmed up quickly with the climb.

    We thought we might drive over to Kings Mountain State Park but discovered that most things were closed, so, after a trip to the bookstore, where we purchased a few things, we headed on down the road to Lexington. Of course as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot, Abigail picked up our book and began once again to read aloud.

    I purchased three Kings Mountain pins, one for each of us. Perhaps I’ll wear mine on my 50-State hat. I haven’t decided. The girls say I should wait and see if I discover something else. That sounds like good advice and I do believe I will follow it. Oh, how I miss Amy at times like this.
    We are now situated in an RV park. Supper is smelling good, and after we eat, I promised the girls we’d finish the book, so I must go and help with supper.
Farewell,
~Priscilla

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting.:)
Christian