background

Empty States

Hello Fellow Travelers,
There are still empty states which no one has claimed. So, if you would like to add more states the five you have already chosen, you may pick two more! Yep, Priscilla and Amy said you can now pick 7 states to travel in! But pick them quickly! This is a first-come, first-travel with them deal. To find out which states are still open either for two people or for one, visit the About the Trip page on the side.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 32 - Mississippi

 Day 32
Nov. 12
Gulfport, MS
Dear Miss Smith,

You know, I never thought I could get a sunburn this late in the year... but I assure it IS possible!

Today was a great day to go to ship island: sunny and surprisingly warm. Riding the ferry across we got to see dolphins. They swam right next to us! It reminded me of when I was in California several years ago and saw several dolphins just off the beach. Only this time they were a lot closer!

There weren't many swimmers there but plenty of people were around the island. We got there just a bit before lunch and so found a quiet spot on the beach to have a little picnic with sandwiches we'd brought along. After lunch we ran around on the beach. The dogs loved it! THEY didn't mind swimming even if the rest of us did. We did wade around in the water though.

Then we wandered around the island, exploring the old fort, boats, etc until about mid-afternoon when we headed back on the ferry to get ready for the symphony after supper.
Captain and crew (father and sons)

The story of our trip just wouldn't be the same without the excitement of the return trip. We were at the edge of the ferry, looking out over the water. There was a cool breeze ruffling our hair and skirts. 'Cila was afraid her hat might blow off so she took it off and held it in her hand. I think it might have been safer on her head. Just a few minutes later a larger gust of wind tore it from her hands straight into the water! I'm sure you can imagine how shocked and horrified Priscilla was as she saw her hat floating there in the water! I must admit, I found the situation rather amusing though I couldn't think of allowing it to show!
Thankfully one of the crew members was nearby and fished the hat out of the water with a fishing pole. THAT was when I had to laugh! Imagine seeing that turquoise hat hanging on the end of a fishign line! Pretty fancy fish, I'd say. Thankfully it was relatively unharmed. It was drenched of course but Priscilla has it nearly back to normal by now.

We had supper and then headed to the Symphony . Priscilla and I enjoyed it very much but the girls were so exhausted after the long day on the beach that they were asleep long before it was over. At last we got them back to the RV and now they're fast asleep in bed and I feel like I'm about to be asleep too so I should probably close this before I can't do anymore at all tonight.

Sincerely,
Amy

1 comment:

Miss Smith said...

Dear Amy,
I always new Priscilla would lose one of her hats, I just never thought it would be fished up from the water! I do hope you aren't crowded with too many hats.
Love,
Miss Smith